With 8000 m2, the Templar Castle of Ponferrada is considered one of the most important castles in the northwest of the Iberian Peninsula and main symbol of the city of Ponferrada.
It’s military architecture was influenced by the settlers of this territory, which have left their mark through successive constructions and improvements. Declared a National Monument in 1924 and also Site of Cultural Interest, was only rehabilitated in the end of the 20th century mostly focusing in recovering the walls and dependencies of the Castle. The result was a multifunctional monument, where different types of social activities and events still take place.
The Castle also has a privileged location: from the geographical point of view it has always been a mandatory cross point between the Meseta and Galicia for the Santiago Pilgrims; from the tactical perspective, its promontory location on the banks of the Sil River has always allowed it to protect the territory and the Camino. Lastly, it is also a landmark of the Ponferrada old town.